Blue Planet Marine – Expert Marine Environmental Research and Consulting
Our Capability In The Marine Environmental Management Sector
Human activity impacts on the marine environment. Worldwide, environmentally and socially responsible organisations are working to become aware of their potential impacts and are proactively managing them.
BPM is a world-class marine environmental research and consulting service and can assist your organisation in identifying and managing potential environmental impacts. Via research, planning, implementation, assessment and management strategies, we work with our clients to meet their specific environmental, conservation and social goals.
Who we work with
Business / Industry – seeking technical advice and research, expert evidence, environmental assessment and planning, development and practical implementation of policy, and mitigation of potential impacts.
Government – seeking research capabil ity, expert evidence, operational and vessel support, and policy advice.
Scientists – seeking research collaboration, specialist research skills and equipment, HSE and project management
Non - government organisations – seeking practical scientific input and advice, and expert evidence.
How we can help you
BPM has two divisions – research and consulting. Our highly qualified, trained and experienced marine specialists provide the following services:
Research and Monitoring
- Marine megafauna research and monitoring
- Environmental research and monitoring
- Survey design and implementation
- Baseline surveys and habitat mapping
- Aerial surveys
- Boat- and land-based surveys, including vessel supply
- Project Management
- Crew transfer vessels
- Project logistical support
- EIAs, MMIAs, MMMPs and monitoring
- Environmental impact mitigation advice and practical implementation
- Environmental compliance monitoring and environmental audits
- Threatened species assessment
- Survey Environmental Advisor (SEA) services
- Oiled Wildlife Response (OWR)
Planning, Strategy and Policy
- Technical and Policy advice
- Environmental Plans and Plans of Management
- Impact mitigation strategies
- Independent review of reports, plans, strategy and policy
- Government approval documents
- Liaison and facilitation with government and stakeholders
Training and Inductions
- Environmental training courses and inductions
- Marine Mammal Observers (MMO) and Marine Fauna Observers (MFO)
- NZ and Australian MMO/MFO and Passive Acoustic Operator training courses and inductions
- Noise loggers
- Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) – towed and fixed array systems
- PAM operators and training
- Expert evidence on marine mammals and noise
- Underwater noise assessments, validation and modelling
- Specialist research vessels and equipment
- Real-time cetacean positioning and tracking systems
- Acoustic monitoring equipment (towed arrays, data loggers, acoustic buoys and hydrophones)
- A range of marine fauna tagging and tracking systems (D tags, satellite tags etc.)
- Access to a range of aircraft suitable for aerial surveys
Quality Reporting and Documentation
- All BPM documentation is comprehensive, tailored for each project and professionally presented. We can assist with a variety of reports including, discussion documents, reviews, management plans, strategic and advice papers.
Australia • Australian Antarctic Division/Australian Marine Mammal Centre • Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation • Defence Science Technology Organisation • Department of Agriculture and Water Resources • Department of Energy & Environment • Geoscience Australia • Department of Environment & Conservation • Marine Parks Authority New Zealand • Department of Conservation • Environment Canterbury • Far North District Council • Marlborough District Council • Ministry of Economic Development • Ministry of Primary Industries Fiji • Department of Environment • Ministry of Fisheries Samoa • Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries • Ministry of Natural Resources
• Australian Institute of Marine Science • Southern Cross University • University of Queensland • RPS Group • URS • Sinclair Knight Merz Pty Ltd • ERM Group • Cawthron • University of Auckland • University of Otago • Scripps Institution for Oceanography • Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution • Fonds Pacifique
Resource and development industries
• Anadarko • Apache • AWE • BAM Clough • Bechtel • BHP • Chatham Rock Phosphate • Chevron • Dredging International • Greymouth Petroleum • Hess • Inpex • Jan De Nul • NZ Oil & Gas • OMV • Petrobras • Rio Tinto • Schlumberger • STOS • TGS Nopec • Todd Energy • Trans-Tasman Resources • Western Geco • Woodside
• South Pacific Regional Environment Program • South Pacific Whale Research Consortium • International Fund for Animal Welfare • World Wildlife Fund • PEW Charitable Trusts • Whale Watch Kaikoura
The Environment We have an overriding commitment to environmental responsibility and the health and safety of our team. We care.
Our Team We value experience, knowledge and skills and have handpicked a team of over 50 exceptional people, each with a proven track record in delivery, quality and professionalism. We invest in our team.
Our Clients We work alongside and listen to our clients. We tailor teams for each project to ensure we provide the right skill set, knowledge and level of experience. We respond.
Commitment and Delivery We commit to providing high quality products and services. We deliver to deadline and to the expectations of our clients. We are professionals.
Staying Relevant We develop and use technology. We conduct research and publish the results. We collaborate. We stay connected.
Introducing Blue Planet Marine (BPM)
BPM is a leading environmental research and consulting firm providing expert scientific service in the Australian, New Zealand, Asian, South Pacific, sub-Antarctic and Antarctic marine environments. Operating since 2002, we work with variety of clients including research, government and non-government organisations, and the oil, gas and mining industries. Our team of scientists are active researchers and we maintain our competitive edge by investing in the training and mentoring of our people and in the development and use of the latest technology. We ensure that we stay relevant in management and conservation by conducting research and publishing our results in peer-reviewed literature. We provide superior service to our clients. Our work is subject to our QSE system, which is modelled on ISO 9001, AS/NZS 4801 and ISO 14001. BPM is based in Canberra, Australia and in Nelson, New Zealand.
KEY TEAM MEMBERS
Dr David Paton, Managing Director (ACT)
Project Manager, marine mammal, turtle and seabird biologist and ecologist with almost 40 years’ experience throughout Australia, the South Pacific, Southern Ocean (Antarctic waters), USA and Canada.
Dr Simon Childerhouse, Development Manager/Senior Marine Scientist (NZ)
Marine Scientist with almost 30 years’ international experience including substantial experience in research, international collaboration and government processes.
Dr Rob Slade, Operations Manager/Senior Marine Scientist (NSW)
Marine Scientist, Project Manager, MMO/PAM Team Leader and environmental trainer with over 30 years’ experience working in Australia, USA, and Europe.
Dr Dan Burns, Marine Scientist (WA)
Dan is a Marine Scientist, Environmental Trainer and Lecturer with 20 years’ experience working for government, NGO agencies, research institutes and environmental consulting companies.
Lesley Douglas MSc, Marine Scientist (NZ)
Marine bio-acoustician with more than 15 years' experience working with a variety of marine mammal species and with the design, implementation and consultation associated with marine protected areas.
Sarah Laverick BSc (Hons), MFAB, Marine Scientist (NSW)
Marine Scientist with over 15 years’ experience in various science and project management roles including as Project Manager and Deputy Voyage Leader during Antarctic research voyages.
- Cetacean, pinniped, shark, turtle biology and ecology
- Underwater acoustics
- Data analysis, statistics and modelling
- Survey design and implementation
- Satellite tagging and biopsying
- Environmental planning, education, and training
- Environmental monitoring and programme auditing
- Vessel Masters and vessel/crew supply
- Project and HSE Managers
- Expert evidence and advice
Australia PO Box 919,
Jamison Centre, ACT, 2614.
P +61 (0)431 664 472
PO Box 3639,
Richmond, Nelson, 7050.
P +64 (0)27 641 0164